Light regulates the human circadian rhythm, and controls the production of melatonin, dopamine, serotonin and cortisol, among other hormones.
Prior to the invention of artificial lighting, the only sources of non-yellow lighting on earth were sunlight and moonlight. Sunlight operates on a 24 hour cycle. Not surprisingly, so does every form of life on earth.
There are two aspects to the sunlight cycle: the light flux varies through the day and disappears at night; and the blue content of the daylight also varies with time through the day. The blue content is low at dawn and dusk, because blue light is scattered out of the beam as the sunlight glances off the earth’s atmosphere. As the sun rises further, more of the blue light gets through. Blue light is our time giver and entrains our circadian rhythm. Humans, animals and plants evolved and are entrained to this rhythm.
Artifical lighting has disturbed
the circadian rhythm
Scientists have been studying the biological impacts of light for decades, but only recently discovered ganglion cells in the retina that are not used for sight. These cells respond to visible blue light and set the biological clock that synchronises our bodies with natures cycle of sunrise and sunset. They also regulate hormone production as described above.
Human Centric (Circadian) Lighting is not just about Colour Temperature, it’s about restoring our rhythm.
The Circadian Clock
The Eye and the brain
- LIGHT ENTERS THROUGH THE EYE
- INTRISIC PHOTOSENSITIVE RETINAL GANGLION CELLS (ipRGC) IN THE EYE THAT DETECT THE LEVEL OF BLUE IN THE LIGHT
- THESE CELLS RELAY THIS INFORMATION TO YOUR SUPRACHIASMATIC NUCLEUS (SCN), “THE BIOLOGICAL CLOCK”, ALLOWING ENTRAINMENT OF A PERSON’S DAILY RHYTHMS TO THE 24-HOUR CYCLE IN NATURE
- THE SCN FORWARDS THE SIGNALS TO THE PINEAL GLAND WHICH REGULATES THE LEVEL OF MELATONIN IN THE BLOOD. MELATONIN IS A NIGHT-HORMONE, AND SHOULD NOT BE SUPPRESSED BY BLUE LIGHT IN THE EVENING OR NIGHT TIME
- BLUE LIGHT IN THE MORNING SUPRESSES THE PRODUCTION OF MELATONIN - MAKING US FEEL MORE AWAKE & ALERT, AS WE WOULD IN THE MORNING TIME.
Human Centric Lighting Made Simple
HUMANITAS is the first straightforward, wholesaler-friendly system of timed circadian lighting. It comprises a range of light fittings adapted with an UNUM Zigbee Bridge and a MODUM Controller. HUMANITAS CCT varies from 2700K to 6500K for a wide range of biological effectiveness.
Human Centric Made Simple For The Installer
Installing a HUMANITAS system is as simple as doing a standard lighting design using the available fittings from the range, which comes with the UNUM Zigbee Bridge, and a factory programmed MODUM controller for each room, space or zone.
The UNUM is paired to the MODUM controller.
The ROBUS range offers a selection of circadian programmes pre-loaded onto your controller, along with some time-independent scene set options. Your programme can be factory customised to your needs for the specific type of installation.
See here an example of the SPACE LED Panel fitting as a Human Centric Lighting solution.
Benefits of Human Centric Lighting installation
- Varying blue content of natural daylight is imitated indoors, promoting entrainment of the circadian rhythm
- Early morning cool white light suppresses melatonin all year round, activating us as we wake
- Cool white morning and early afternoon lighting improves attentiveness and concentration
- Warm white evening lighting allows natural melatonin production to resume naturally, and to persist even for night-shift workers
- People performance improvements as well as energy savings
Human Centric Lighting can bring increased energy levels in countries and seasons where little daylight is experienced by an average office worker. The right lighting installation can improve productivity, fatigue levels, errors and accidents
Dynamic lighting has been found to significantly improve reading speeds and reduce errors in attentiveness tests administered in controlled studies in schools
Typically patients have less access to daylight and too much time indoors disrupts sleep patterns. Patients will experience sunrise, sunset and daylight simulations which will result in higher energy levels and better sleep and also impact on health
As Natural as Sunrise and Sunset
HUMANITAS has a soft tone controller so you won’t notice jerky changes in the dimming or colour temperature perception.
- 216 steps of CCT between 2700K and 6500K
- Each step is less than 1 Macadam Step
- 256 steps of dimming, so dimmability is controlled to better than 0.5% step
- Adjustment of CCT and dimming is therefore gradual, soft and natural
HUMANITAS Human Centric Lighting does not disturb the lit environment.
You will only notice the benefits; not the technology